Being a fiction writer is fun, exciting, amazing and tedious. It’s a long process that involves caving in and producing brilliant ideas one after the other. At times it’s easy but not always. Productive days are followed by a series of dry and dull ones. During these tough times, it’s important to breathe in and chant this too shall pass. However, there are some writing tips which will make the transition phase smoother for the young writers.
When I started my writing journey, I had very few people to guide me. I went through tough phases in life. Couple of the writing tips was handed over to me but most of them were discovered by a hit and trial approach and my sheer will power to pursue my dream to become a published author.
Writing tips which work for me-
- Read and learn- An advice I never get tired of giving and as a writer you should never get tired of receiving. Read as much as you can. Read anything and everything that you can get your hands on. There’s a lot to read and the more you read the more you’ll learn. Period. Here’s what I do. When I get tired of writing, I start reading. It doesn’t matter the genre or the author. What matters is that you’ve got a story in front of you and you are reading it. You’ll learn so much about the narrative styles, character descriptions, setting and so on. When you start reading a lot, you’ll start brainstorming ideas too and that’ll help you in writing.
- Write everyday- It’s one of the most important writing habits I emphasize upon. If you’re tired of writing a novel, pick up a short story. If you’re tired of writing contemporary try writing a horror story. (This is what I’m currently doing.) The point is, don’t stop writing. If you don’t want to write fiction, write a blog. Talk about your day, your heart breaks and your failures. Share your words with the world. Writing is a beautiful process and you as a writer must embrace each aspect of it.
- Brainstorm ideas- Here’s how you can do it. Pick up writing prompts from Pintrest and Tumblr. These two sights offer a lot of insights free of cost. You can also try and change the ending of your favorite novel or movie. Try and come up with a short story based on a Netflix show. Simply put, keep your eyes, ears and mind open. Grab every ray of idea that pop ups in your head and start writing.
- Take feedback- I emphasize on the importance of having a mentor. As a writing coach, I provide honest feedback to my students. You can either connect with me on Instagram(I’m most active there), or find a writing mentor in your city or online and share your work with them. The writing tips offered by mentors can be a complete game changer in guiding your writing journey. You can even join online writing groups where you can share about your work with like -minded people and use their feedback in improving your writing game.
- Learn new words- Absolutely essential. If you want to be in the writing business for a long time, you can’t afford to be monotonous. And when you use the same set of words in your novels and stories you become monotonous. Spice things up with new words and phrases. 30 days to a more powerful vocabulary by Norman Lewisis a terrific book that will help you in improving your word bank.
- Invest in your learning- Take online courses or join an offline class. A leader never stops learning and as a writer you need to stay updated with the trending genres, the likes and dislikes of modern readers and the market conditions. There’s a lot of competition in the writing world and when you invest in your learning you ensure that you stay a step ahead from your competitors. You can sign up for my A-Z Fiction Writing Superclass on Instagram or by dropping a comment below.
- Have a schedule- Writing requires commitment, discipline and perseverance. Have a schedule and stick to it. None of the writing tips will work if you are nor committed to writing every day. So make sure you have a schedule and you show up at the fixed time.
I hope you liked the writing tips mentioned above. I would love to have your feedback so do drop a comment below.
7 kogus · December 10, 2020 at 8:04 am
Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this article and the rest of the website is also really good. Blaire Patrice Bird
erotik izle · December 9, 2020 at 6:25 pm
I was able to find good information from your blog posts. Evanne Corbin Fokos
erotik izle · December 9, 2020 at 2:59 pm
I love your writing style genuinely enjoying this web site. Lilias Patricio Alber
porno · December 9, 2020 at 11:57 am
Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you penning this write-up plus the rest of the site is very good. Guillema Padriac Col
Vijay Kumar H Magi · November 21, 2020 at 2:10 am
Early morning with good tips made my day still more exciting
Chandini · November 13, 2020 at 5:12 pm
So helpful ma’am. Thank you so much for this.!?
sikis izle · November 12, 2020 at 11:07 pm
Pretty! This has been an incredibly wonderful post. Thank you for supplying this information. Amity Mitch Flora
ritiqapachauri · November 13, 2020 at 9:33 am
Thanks a lot for reading it:)
Comments are closed.